narhf
BACK TO TOP

Communities, Business, Government Organizations

Ferrocarril Chihuahua al Pacifico

The Ferrocarril Chihuahua al Pacífico – also known as the Chihuahua-Pacific Railway, has operated over 418 miles (673 kilometers) of track since the railway’s final completion in 1961. The completion of the Ferrocarril Chihuahua al Pacifico achieved a longstanding objective of the Mexican people – linking the city of Chihuahua to the port of Topolobampo, […]

Read More

Town of Halton Hills

The Town of Halton Hills has a number railway related structures that date back to the mid 1850s and remarkably most of them are still in use. These structures were constructed under the direction of Colonel Sir Casimir Gzowski who was knighted by Queen Victoria and served briefly as the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario. He […]

Read More

Intercolonial Railway

The Intercolonial was an historic Canadian railway that operated from 1872 to 1918. It predated the Canadian Pacific Railway by nine years and in a sense was Canada’s first national railway. It was the first significant Crown corporation, and served as one of the technological means of connecting Britain’s North American colonies of Nova Scotia […]

Read More

The American Radiator Company

In 1892, industrialist John Pierce convinced several independent manufacturers to join his business, the Pierce Steam Heating Company, to form the American Radiator Company. Eager to prove its worth, the newly formed company worked hard to attract the attention of large and expanding corporations requiring new heating systems for their buildings. With its annual publication, […]

Read More

The Re-Purposing of the Sarnia Bridge

The re-purposed Sarnia Bridge railway viaduct, once part of the historic Grand Trunk Railway is now the centrepiece of the newly developed Grand Trunk Trail. In 1858, the Grand Trunk Railway reached the small village of St. Marys from Toronto, transforming the sleepy southwestern Ontario town to a bustling centre. From St. Marys, the line […]

Read More

The Restoration of the 6167 (City of Guelph)

Steam locomotive 6167, built in 1940. It was rebuilt after a disastrous collision in 1942 with sister 6166 in Quebec. Engine No. 6167 served in Eastern Canada during WWII hauling material and troops. She was retired at the end of steam in 1959 and eventually chosen to head a steam tourist program in 1960, making […]

Read More

Railway Hospital Association

The first mention we have of the existence of the “Railway Hospital” is in 1884. This early institution was apparently conducted by the Railroad YMCA and was located at 574 Talbot Street on the second floor of the Acacia Block. This was the first cooperative medi-care operation in St. Thomas. It was formed by employees […]

Read More

Port Stanley Terminal Rail

The trains of the Port Stanley Terminal Rail travel over the tracks and roadbed of one of Ontario’s oldest railways, the London and Port Stanley Railway, which was completed in 1856. In 1913 the City of London, which owned the line, assumed operations. Adam Beck, the promoter of hydro-electric power from Niagara Falls and mayor […]

Read More

Canadian Iron & Foundry Company

The origins of Canron, as it later came to be known, go back to the establishment of the Canada Southern Railway (CSR) in the early 1870s when Russell Car Wheel was established at the north-west corner of the parcel of land owned by the CSR. In 1884 it was taken over by the St. Thomas […]

Read More

Southern Loan & Savings Co.

Incorporated in November of 1870 as the Southern Counties Permanent Building and Savings Society, the company was initiated by local businessmen and farmers who saw the need for providing mortgage financing for the influx of residents attracted to St. Thomas by the railway boom. The construction of the Canada Southern and Great Western- Airline began […]

Read More

Back