narhf
BACK TO TOP

Communities, Business, Government Organizations

The Re-Purposing of the Sarnia Bridge

The re-purposed Sarnia Bridge railway viaduct, once part of the historic Grand Trunk Railway is now the centrepiece of the newly developed Grand Trunk Trail. In 1858, the Grand Trunk Railway reached the small village of St. Marys from Toronto, transforming the sleepy southwestern Ontario town to a bustling centre. From St. Marys, the line […]

Read More

The Restoration of the 6167 (City of Guelph)

Steam locomotive 6167, built in 1940. It was rebuilt after a disastrous collision in 1942 with sister 6166 in Quebec. Engine No. 6167 served in Eastern Canada during WWII hauling material and troops. She was retired at the end of steam in 1959 and eventually chosen to head a steam tourist program in 1960, making […]

Read More

Railway Hospital Association

The first mention we have of the existence of the “Railway Hospital” is in 1884. This early institution was apparently conducted by the Railroad YMCA and was located at 574 Talbot Street on the second floor of the Acacia Block. This was the first cooperative medi-care operation in St. Thomas. It was formed by employees […]

Read More

Port Stanley Terminal Rail

The trains of the Port Stanley Terminal Rail travel over the tracks and roadbed of one of Ontario’s oldest railways, the London and Port Stanley Railway, which was completed in 1856. In 1913 the City of London, which owned the line, assumed operations. Adam Beck, the promoter of hydro-electric power from Niagara Falls and mayor […]

Read More

Canadian Iron & Foundry Company

The origins of Canron, as it later came to be known, go back to the establishment of the Canada Southern Railway (CSR) in the early 1870s when Russell Car Wheel was established at the north-west corner of the parcel of land owned by the CSR. In 1884 it was taken over by the St. Thomas […]

Read More

Southern Loan & Savings Co.

Incorporated in November of 1870 as the Southern Counties Permanent Building and Savings Society, the company was initiated by local businessmen and farmers who saw the need for providing mortgage financing for the influx of residents attracted to St. Thomas by the railway boom. The construction of the Canada Southern and Great Western- Airline began […]

Read More

South Western Traction Co.

In 1902 a group of London, Ontario residents led by Thomas Purdom and Alfred E. Welch chartered an electric railway based in London. Unlike the municipally- London & Port Stanley Railway, the South Western Traction Company was chartered primarily as a passenger hauling line. Lines were planned to several other municipalities in the area, including […]

Read More

Ontario, Simcoe and Huron Union Railroad Company

In May 1853, the first steam train to operate in Canada West began service between Toronto and Aurora, at that time called Machell’s Corners. This was the first stage in a line being constructed through to Collingwood by the Ontario, Simcoe and Huron Union Railroad Company (OSH). The OSH was Canada’s first commercially successful railway […]

Read More

Canada Division Passenger Service

At the turn of the 20th century, the Canada Division main line was the busiest passenger route in Canada. At the end of 1901, the Michigan Central Railroad ran seven passenger trains between Detroit and Buffalo. The Grand Trunk provided only four on its busiest route between Montreal and Toronto. By 1920, the Canada Division […]

Read More

Charity Lodge No. 37 (Lady Firemen)

The Ladies’ Society of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen was recognized as an auxiliary of the Brotherhood at its second biennial convention in 1890. The Ladies’ Society was organized “for the purpose of rendering assistance, encouraging the Brotherhood … in its good work, extending the hand of Charity, helping each other in time […]

Read More

Back