narhf
BACK TO TOP

Bloomingdale Trail

download (1)

The Chicago and Pacific Railroad Company laid tracks for Bloomingdale Line in 1873 on Bloomingdale Avenue on the northwest side of Chicago. As the population of the city grew the rails became a danger to residents. In 1893, the city mandated that all tracks be elevated to reduce accidents. Passenger and freight service continued to run as the line was elevated twenty feet. The 2.7 mile elevated line is made of steel reinforced concrete and has 38 viaducts to accommodate traffic.

Railroad traffic slowed in the 1990s and the last train passed over the line in 2001. The City of Chicago purchased the elevated right-of-way from the Canadian Pacific Railway in 2013 and converted it into a greenway. The Bloomingdale Trail opened in June 2015 and is part of a group of parks and trails called “The 606″. 

 

Inducted in 2016

Back